Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

how long does a trespassing misdemeanor stay on your record

how long does a trespassing misdemeanor stay on your record in the State of Michigan?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
If this was a conviction it will stay on your record forever unless you can get it expunged (erased).

Michigan allows you to ask the court to expunge your record if you only have one conviction (felony or misdemeanor) and IF:
1. You only have ONE conviction;
2. Your one conviction is NOT for:
a. An actual or attempted crime punishable by life in prison;
b. Actual or attempted criminal sexual conduct in the second degree (felony);
c. Actual or attempted criminal sexual conduct in the third degree (felony);
d. Actual or attempted assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct (felony); or
e. A traffic offense; and
3. More than 5 years have passed since your sentence was imposed or your prison term was completed, whichever is later.
So it appears that if your offense happened more than 5 years ago, and it was your only conviction that you would be eligible to apply to get this off of your record.

There are lawyers who specialize in expungement law but you can also fill out the application and do the job yourself. You will find the self-help material by clicking on the link.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I had a minor in possession of alcohol charge that occurred in 2002 would that count as a previous conviction?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
Michigan law allows for the dismissal of a first offense for that crime, but there would be no way of my knowing whether you got one. If so, it wouldn't count as a conviction. The lawyer who handled the matter for you or the clerk of the court where the matter was heard could tell you for sure.

If it was a conviction and expungement would then not be possible, you have one other recourse in Michigan, which would be to apply to the Governor of the state for a pardon for the misdemeanor. It gets done through the Parole Board. Here's the link to the information and the application form.