Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

what is the statue of limitation (State of Kentucky) for a

what is the statue of limitation (State of Kentucky) for a bounced check of 150.00 and 19 years ago
If the check was less than $200, it was a misdmeanor and there is a 1 year statute of limitations in KY to prosecute a misdemeanor. Additionally, even in civil court on a contract to pay a debt, which this is a written obligation, the holder of the check had 15 years to file a suit. Thus, if they try to file suit you would file a motion to dismiss based upon the statute of limitations. The only way you cold become civilly bound to pay the check is if you subsequently admit to owing this debt in writing.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Even if this company took it to court to be reimbursed, or to file charges for NSFs. So I do not have lingering misdemeanor charges? What I'm asking is, if I was stopped for speeding, and my driver license was ran.... would the report come back stating I had a misdemeanor charge warrant or what ever it is called?
If they took it to court and obtained a judgment against you, then a judgement is valid for 20 years unless they renew it (unlike the statute of limitations for contracts). However, the criminal statute of limitations is long expired, UNLESS they had a warrant issued within 1 year of the writing the check and you have never had a background check or have been stopped by the police in all of those years (that warrant would still be valid). Unfortunately, the only way to know if there is a warrant is to run a criminal records check. Also, if they obtained a judgment against you and assuming they got it renewed, there is judicial interest adding to that judgment over the years and your amount owed on the civil judgment would be considerably higher than the original amount of the judgment against you.