JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

I am involved in a criminal case where the prosecuting witness

Customer Question

I am involved in a criminal case where the prosecuting witness filed a complaint with the NC State Bar, complaining that the local DA coached her in what to say. Knowing what the DA was telling what to say was a lie. What if anything is going to happen to the DA and what becomes of the case if the founds out that the DA coached the prosecuting witness to lie?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

It is impossible to speculate what will happen with the facts you described.

As a general matter, upon receipt of the complaint, the bar will evaluate whether to pursue it or not. What I mean by that is whether they want to hear the side of the local DA. The bar could dismiss the complaint up front. Or, the local DA may be invited to respond to the allegations and the matter may end there and be closed.

If the bar does harbor any concern, after considering the DA's response, they could pursue formal charges against the DA accusing him/her of misconduct. There's a formal complaint, and opportunity to respond, a trial, and then the bar determines whether or not there was misconduct. If there is a finding of misconduct, they can recommend professional sanctions. Any discipline can be appealed to the state supreme court.

As you can see, there are a lot of unknowns, but this is a brief description of the route of the professional discipline process. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, this is what I already knew. Since their star witness/complainant has refused to testify for the state because they wanted her to lie, and she has filed a complaint against them, what becomes of the case. Is their case in jeopardy?

Will this cost me another $30.00? If so let me know.
Thank you for the follow-up.

It's impossible for me to speculate what will happen with the case because I do not know what other witnesses/evidence the state has to support its case.