JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

My 21 yr. old son two years ago spray painted some traffic

My 21 yr. old son two years ago spray painted some traffic signs and walls on Maui. He got arrested and confessed. He has court tomorrow and is being charged with a felony. What is the worst possible penalty and the lightest he could get.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

There are a lot of different unknown variables. A solid course of action is to hire a decent criminal defense attorney in the area.

At the first court date, the exact charges and maximum possible sentences will be read.

There will be three tasks for your son's attorney:

1. Get the discovery/evidence that the prosecutor has and intends to use against your son.

2. Try to plea bargain the felony down to a misdemeanor.

3. See if there's a way to work out a plea bargain where your son's case is put on a diversion track and is "non-public" at the successful completion of any probation.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!