LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

is it illegal for a girl of 17 to have a sexual relationship

is it illegal for a girl of 17 to have a sexual relationship with a man who is 22
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you. To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points:

1. What is the jurisdiction (state) in question?
  2. Are you the 17 year old in question? (please confirm you are 18 years of age or older in accordance with our terms of service)

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No I'm related to the male and I don't want him to get into trouble
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
State of Arkansas I'm 72 yrs old 03-15-1937

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. Thank you for taking the time to write back and supply the additional requested information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry. I would be glad to interact with you further if needed after you click "Accept" to process my answer.
  2. I commend you for being concerned about your relative. It is certainly prudent to check and make sure, as you are doing here. Based on what you have related here, there is no cause for concern as to criminal culpability.

In Arkansas, the age of consent is 16 for a minor (<18) with a major more than 20 years old. In other words, your male relative is not breaking the law by having a consensual sexual relationship with this female.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.