Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor

i have a warrant out for a check that bounced and was turned

i have a warrant out for a check that bounced and was turned into the economic crime unit which in turn grew to be check planning on traveling to thailand in august 2009...will this create any problems for my travels??
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, it probably will. Security when traveling into or out of the country has always been tight, it's even tighter since 9/11. Security will check your ID, they will have background information and they will almost certainly be aware of the warrant. Your worst case scenario here is that you are detained, ultimately arrested, miss your trip and end up sitting in a jail for several days or even weeks.

I would urge you to retain the services of a criminal law attorney practicing in the area of the offense. The attorney can address the case for you, possibly even getting the warrant recalled. At the worst, you may need to be turned in to the jail, processed and be made eligible for bond. At the best, XXXXX XXXXX can handle ALL of this, including resolving the warrant and even the case in full. The penalties involved with the case are almost certainly going to be less than the hassle of being arrested at the airport and missing your trip.

You only have a couple months to make this happen so please contact an attorney soon.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i received a letter from the DA saying that if i pay the check then everything will be cleared just gonna pay it..does the option of being able to pay and make it go away make it a less severe issue??
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

That's perfect! That result often comes from worthless check charges. It's a bit surprising since it was enhanced to "check fraud" but this is an excellent result. By all means, pay the fee and be done with it. I would suggest following up to verify the warrant has been dismissed. You can check on it be contacting either the prosecutor that sent the letter to you or by calling the sheriff's office that relieved the warrant.

I hope this helps. Please, click "Accept" if you found my answer helpful so I may be credited for my response. Do not hesitate to contact me via with any further questions or concerns. Thank you and good luck!