Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor

My ex was convicted of child molestation in Michigan and got

My ex was convicted of child molestation in Michigan and got 5 to 15 in Michigan and was convicted of the same in Texas and got the same amount of time, I was told he will serve both sentences at the same time here in Michigan so he won't have to go to Texas to serve time. Is this possible? I would think he would have to go down to Texas to serve his time down there.

This result is unusual, but it is possible. I am a criminal defense attorney and I've handled hundreds of felony offenses. While the departments of correction (DOC) of each state will typically NOT have the time served concurrently, it can happen. What needs to take place, and apparently did in your ex's case, is for the assigned prosecutor in each state to communicate with the other. They will discus their cases, the strengths and weaknesses of each, the desires of the victims, the probability of conviction and even the history and health of the defendant. Sometimes it simply makes sense to resolve the cases in this manner.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!