Counselor
Counselor, Lawyer
Experience:  Former deputy prosecuting attorney
12650973

i was arrested for pettit larceny from target store, and have

Customer Question

i was arrested for pettit larceny from target store, and have court date in 2 weeks. do i need a lawyer, they said one would be provided for me at that time. i have no priors. will i serve time ? what shall i do
thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Counselor replied 5 years ago.

If they have already told you you will have an appointed attorney for your next court date, you needn't do anything at this point. If you have not appeared in court with an attorney yet, then you could not have entered a plea. That means the first court appearance will be the time you enter your plea.

Of course, you can always hire your own attorney, but as a former prosecutor, I would want a publicdefender if I could get one because they do criminal law all the time, and are generally better than the private attorneys you could hire -- unless your name isXXXXX

It's always difficult to say what kind of sentence a person will get. Questions about the penalty you are likely to face for a criminal offense are very fact specific. Sentences depend on things like your prior criminal history, whether you are charged with one offense or multiple offenses, whether state law allows or requires the sentences to be run consecutively, and the particular circumstances of your offense. It also depends on what is typically done in the particular court you are in, that is, whether the judge who is sentencing you tends to sentence heavy or light, what kind of plea agreements the prosecutor is willing to consider, etc.

That being said, for a first misdemeanor conviction, it is very unlikely that you will end up doing any jail time. More likely, probation and restitution are more likely.

Counselor

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX more.

ten years ago i was with a friend who sold drugs to an undercover agent and we both were arrested, but my charges were dropped and they said they would be removed from any record.

is this true?

do i have to bring this up to my court appointed attorney? thanks and with your answer i will accept

Expert:  Counselor replied 5 years ago.

IF the charges were dropped, then the only thing that would be on your record is that you were arrested, and that cannot be used against you. Of course, it's never a good idea to have secrets from your lawyer, so I would tell him and ask his advice, but I'm pretty sure he will tell you the same thing I am -- that it will not come up in this case.

Counselor

Counselor, Lawyer
Experience: Former deputy prosecuting attorney
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Counselor replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome.