Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

My 18yr old grandson was picked up on a charge of breaking

Customer Question

My 18yr old grandson was picked up on a charge of breaking and entering a vehicle along with his 17 year old brother and 17 yr old friend. I bonded him out on $5,000 bond, When he went to court he was appointed a court lawyer as we colud not afford one. He is back in court minus a lawyer. now the judge says if he can afford to bond out, he can afford a lawyer. He was given another court date with the order to get a lawyer. His grandfather and I cannot afford a lawyer. We were told that the referral system does not take felony cases. Please advise.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

that is generally the criteria - they expect the family to put houses in second mortgages to pay for attorneys. however, he can still fill out the application for the public defender in his county - and he can also put down as a liability the money he owes to his grandparents for any money they put out for a bond fee.

filling out the application is a way of establishing the financial need for the service.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi

So what happens if we can't get an attorney?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

tell me the state this has happened in, please? thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

good morning,

This happened in alabama.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

first contact the PD office in the county where the arrest occured and ask to fill out the application - your grandson needs to do this. if he does not qualify, then you can contact the Bar Associaton and seek a pro bono referral. many times, when one does not qualify for PD assistance, they wont qualify for the pro bono either.

i really think he will qualify for the PD -