Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I am trying to assist my son with a petition for review by

Customer Question

I am trying to assist my son with a petition for review by the court of appeals. He has a significant history of mental illness, was arrested for domestic violence which was dropped; however, because of his mental illness, I feel there was significant abuse by the police and courts. While he was being held he was accused of assaulting an officer who had him face down,and tazing him while handcuffed behind his back, standing between his legs, forcing him to turn over, while my son says he told the officer that he couldn't turn over because he was afraid of tripping the officer he was forced to turn over tripping the officer therefore they charged him with assault. He was appointed a court appointed attorney, went through a jury trial, was incoherant/confused while on the stand. If I could have afforded it I would have hired an attorney for him. Quite honestly, I feel he is being swept under the rug as usual because of his mental illness. This is his last chance for appeal, help.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

thank you for that information. what is the question?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are there any other satutes we can refer to relating to charges (3rd degree assault for allegedly assaulting one of the officers)? Bringing previous domestic violence history (court did not prohibit evidence that officers were responding to a domestic violence assault).
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

i am going to opt out and allow another expert to help you with this matter. hang on, somene will be with you.