JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

My husband was asked to come to the police station for questioning

Customer Question

My husband was asked to come to the police station for questioning about indecent exposure which he did not do.He went willingly and while there answered all the questions honestly while being called a liar and telling him since he decided not to cooperate he was being arrested. Tthe officer then came to my car and told me he was being arrested and supplied me with all of the details after i bailed my husband out of jail he was not issued a ticket or summonns and the police officer gave me all of the details of the supposed crime-vivid details not disclosed to my husband at the time of his arrest they also questioned my 17 year old daughter without permission or a parent present Can a police officer arrest you because of what someonne says and then try to force you into a confession then when you tell them you are innocent arrest you? There was no fingerprinting, no ticket or summons, no picture taken and the officer did tell me that he was picked from a lineup no line up was even don
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. From the facts you described, it suggests that the police were conducting their investigation, putting together a report, and then will be presenting their case to the local prosecuting officials to see if a warrant will be authorized -- that's what happens in more serious cases: prosecutor's issue warrants (tickets aren't issued).

Yes, a police officer can arrest yes because of what someone else says.

Yes, police can question you and try to get and admission.

Yes, the police can arrest when they think they have enough evidence to make the arrest -- when they do the fingerprinting and booking depends upon department policy.

There is no legal requirement of a line-up.

Best wishes and good luck. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!