How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27009
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested in 1998 for aggravated harrassment..I pleaded

This answer was rated:

I was arrested in 1998 for aggravated harrassment..I pleaded guilty and did 3 days of community attorney told me that this case would be sealed in 6 this the same as expunged??? and if not how can I check the status?



NY does not allow the expungement of records. but you can file to have the records sealed. sealing means they cannot be viewed by the public or show on background checks, but the record remains for the courts to view if ever necessary. you should speak with the clerk of the court where the conviction took place and ask for the forms to file for sealing your criminal record. the clerk cannot give you legal advice but can provide the forms and written instructions on how to file.


good luck



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The attorney did not reply regarding that I was told by my attorney that the record would be sealed in 6 months...



sorry. you case is not automatically sealed. unless, it was something your attorney followed up on in the six months and was included as part of your fee - otherwise, this is a process that you must petition the court for. i should have been clearer on that issue.


good luck

Samuel II and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions