Juliana, Lawyer
Experience:  Former prosecutor with 4 years of experience, criminal justice degree

I was arrested November 08, for shoplifting. The merchandise

Customer Question

I was arrested November 08, for shoplifting. The merchandise was worth less than $100 together (two items). Ive been summoned to court, what is the maximum I'm looking at.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Juliana replied 7 years ago.

What state are you located in?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Juliana replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Theft by shoplifting is a misdemeanor when the value of the merchandise is $300 or less. This is described in Section 16-8-14 of the Georgia Code.

Section 17-10-3 of the Georgia Code is the penalty section for misdemeanors:

The penalty is:

(a) Except as otherwise provided by law, every crime declared to be a misdemeanor shall be punished as follows:

(1) By a fine not to exceed $1,000.00 or by confinement in the county or other jail, county correctional institution, or such other places as counties may provide for maintenance of county inmates, for a total term not to exceed 12 months, or both.

I'm assuming this is a first offense misdemeanor shoplifting. If you have prior convictions for shoplifting, please see section 16-8-14 (in the link provided above) for mandatory penalties imposed by law. Otherwise, the judge has discretion with respect to the $1,000 fine and the 12 months jail time, i.e., he/she does not have to sentence the defendant to the maximum amounts.    

Hope this helps, and good luck.