Juliana
Juliana, Lawyer
Experience:  Former prosecutor with 4 years of experience, criminal justice degree
17008935

can you be arrested and chage in may 2003 with endangering

Customer Question

can you be arrested and chage in may 2003 with endangering the welfare of a child knowingly act in manner likely to?
that something may or may not have happen in 2002
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Juliana replied 5 years ago.

Section 1102 of the Delaware Criminal Code, Endangering the Welfare of a Child is a class E or G felony. It states:

(a) A person is guilty of endangering the welfare of a child when:

(1) Being a parent, guardian or any other person who has assumed responsibility for the care or supervision of a child less than 18 years old the person:

a. Knowingly acts in a manner likely to be injurious to the physical, mental or moral welfare of the child; or

b. Intentionally does or fails to do any act, with the result that the child becomes a neglected child; or

(2) The person knowingly contributes to the delinquency of any child less than 18 years old by doing or failing to do any act with the result, alone or in conjunction with other acts or circumstances, that the child becomes a delinquent child; or

(3) The person knowingly encourages, aids, abets or conspires with the child to run away from the home of the child's parents, guardian or custodian; or the person knowingly and illegally harbors a child who has run away from home; or

(4) The person commits any violent felony, or reckless endangering second degree, assault third degree, terroristic threatening, or unlawful imprisonment second degree against a victim, knowing that such felony or misdemeanor was witnessed, either by sight or sound, by a child less than 18 years of age who is a member of the person's family or the victim's family.

(5) The person commits the offense of Driving Under the Influence as set forth in § 4177 of Title 21, or the offense of Operating a Vessel or Boat Under the Influence as set forth in § 2302 of Title 23, and during the commission of the offense knowingly permits a child less than 18 years of age to be a passenger in or on such vehicle, vessel or boat.

(6) The person commits any offense set forth in Chapter 47 of Title 16 in any dwelling, knowing that any child less than 18 years of age is present in the dwelling at the time.

(b) Endangering the welfare of a child shall be punished as follows:

(1) When the death of a child occurs while the child's welfare was endangered as defined in subsection (a) of this section, endangering the welfare of a child is a class E felony;

(2) When serious physical injury to a child occurs while the child's welfare was endangered as defined in subsection (a) of this section, endangering the welfare of a child is a class G felony;

(3) When a child becomes the victim of a sexual offense as defined in § 761(g) of this title while the child's welfare was endangered as defined in subsection (a) of this section, endangering the welfare of a child is a class G felony;

(4) In all other cases, endangering the welfare of a child is a class A misdemeanor.

(c) For the purpose of imposing the penalties prescribed in subdivision (b)(1), (b)(2) or (b)(3) of this section, it is not necessary to prove the person's state of mind or liability for causation with regard to the resulting death of or physical injury to the child or sexual offense against the child, notwithstanding the provisions of § 251, § 252, § 261, § 262, § 263 or § 264 of this title, or any other statutes to the contrary.

http://delcode.delaware.gov/title11/c005/sc05/index.shtml

Yes, you could be arrested and charged with a violation of this section in May 2003 for something that happened in 2002.

Hope this helps,
Juliana