JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor

What is the mandatory jail time for Aggravated Child Molestation

What is the mandatory jail time for Aggravated Child Molestation in the state of Georgia? When did it become a law and what is the #?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

§ 16-6-4. Child molestation; aggravated child molestation

(a) A person commits the offense of child molestation when he or she does any immoral or indecent act to or in the presence of or with any child under the age of 16 years with the intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of either the child or the person.

(b) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person convicted of a first offense of child molestation shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than 20 years and shall be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Sections 17-10-6.2 and 17-10-7. Upon a defendant being incarcerated on a conviction for a first offense, the Department of Corrections shall provide counseling to such defendant. Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, upon a second or subsequent conviction of an offense of child molestation, the defendant shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than ten years nor more than 30 years or by imprisonment for life and shall be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Sections 17-10-6.2 and 17-10-7; provided, however, that prior to trial, a defendant shall be given notice, in writing, that the state intends to seek a punishment of life imprisonment.

(2) If the victim is at least 14 but less than 16 years of age and the person convicted of child molestation is 18 years of age or younger and is no more than four years older than the victim, such person shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall not be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Section 17-10-6.2.

(c) A person commits the offense of aggravated child molestation when such person commits an offense of child molestation which act physically injures the child or involves an act of sodomy.

(d) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person convicted of the offense of aggravated child molestation shall be punished by imprisonment for life or by a split sentence that is a term of imprisonment for not less than 25 years and not exceeding life imprisonment, followed by probation for life, and shall be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Sections 17-10-6.1 and 17-10-7.

(2) A person convicted of the offense of aggravated child molestation when:

(A) The victim is at least 13 but less than 16 years of age;

(B) The person convicted of aggravated child molestation is 18 years of age or younger and is no more than four years older than the victim; and

(C) The basis of the charge of aggravated child molestation involves an act of sodomy shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall not be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Section 17-10-6.1.

...........................

Please reply if I can help further.

________________________

JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience: Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was satisfied with the answer, but I didn't realize the age was a factor also. If the victim was 11 years old, what would the sentence be and would the first offense count under this offense?

What is considered sodomy, I thought it was anal sex?

Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry... your "Already Tried" didn't come through in time for my posting. I'll update momentarily and address your question further. The highlighted section above applies to an 11 year old victim. The section you are looking at is referring to a perpetrator who is under 18 (take a look at subsection (B)). One moment while I get you the sodomy definition.
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

§ 16-6-2. Sodomy; aggravated sodomy; medical expenses

(a) (1) A person commits the offense of sodomy when he or she performs or submits to any sexual act involving the sex organs of one person and the mouth or anus of another.

(2) A person commits the offense of aggravated sodomy when he or she commits sodomy with force and against the will of the other person or when he or she commits sodomy with a person who is less than ten years of age. The fact that the person allegedly sodomized is the spouse of a defendant shall not be a defense to a charge of aggravated sodomy.

(b) (1) Except as provided in subsection (d) of this Code section, a person convicted of the offense of sodomy shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than 20 years and shall be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Section 17-10-6.2.

(2) A person convicted of the offense of aggravated sodomy shall be punished by imprisonment for life or by a split sentence that is a term of imprisonment for not less than 25 years and not exceeding life imprisonment, followed by probation for life. Any person convicted under this Code section of the offense of aggravated sodomy shall, in addition, be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Sections 17-10-6.1 and 17-10-7.

(c) When evidence relating to an allegation of aggravated sodomy is collected in the course of a medical examination of the person who is the victim of the alleged crime, the law enforcement agency investigating the alleged crime shall be financially responsible for the cost of the medical examination to the extent that expense is incurred for the limited purpose of collecting evidence.

(d) If the victim is at least 13 but less than 16 years of age and the person convicted of sodomy is 18 years of age or younger and is no more than four years older than the victim, such person shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall not be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Section 17-10-6.2.

..........................

Plea bargains often involve sentences that are not within the range of punishment. This can result from a reduction of the convicted crime or from what is sometimes called contractual sentencing. If you get a copy of the actual judgment and show it to a local attorney they will be able to easily describe what happened in the case.

I appreciate having the opportunity to continue helping you with your questions, please feel free to reply if I can help further.

________________________

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What happens if the victim is 11 years old? The answer handles 14 years and above.
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

It's a bit confusing to read. Reading the statute in my first answer...

16-6-4 (c) begins the definition of Aggravated Child Molestation which is essentially Child Molestation where the child is injured or involves an act of sodomy (defined above)

16-6-4 (d)(1) defines the punishment for Aggravated Child Molestation as life in prison or a split sentence of not less than 25 years and not exceeding life in prison followed by lifetime probation. (this would apply to an 11 year old victim)

16-6-4 (d)(2) defines the punishment for Aggravated Child Molestation where the victim is at least 13 and less than 16 years of age... AND under the person convicted is less than 18 and no more than 4 years older than the victim... AND the act of Aggravated Child Molestation involves an act of sodomy. In this limited situation the perpetrator would be guilty of a misdemeanor only.

I hope this helps. Again... make sure to reply if I can help further.

________________________

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am trying to pay you, it said my credit card wasn't accepted, would you please contact me if that is true.

Thank you