Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

can a convicted felon become a licensed private investigator

Customer Question

can a convicted felon become a licensed private investigator in Texas?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
Maybe, maybe not. According to the Private Security Bureau of theTexas Department of Public Safety:

" What are the qualifications for a licensure with regard to criminal history? Prior to application, applicants are encouraged to review the eligibility criteria in Section 1702.113 (and all other provisions applicable to the specific license being sought)."

- Be at least 18 years of age;

- Not have been convicted of two or more felony offenses, a single felony within the past twenty years; or a Class A misdemeanor within the past ten years;

- Not be currently charged with a Class A misdemeanor or felony offense, under an information or indictment; Rev 11/28/07

- Not have been adjudicated as having engaged in felony level delinquent conduct within the past ten years;

- Not have been found by a court to be incompetent by reason of a mental defect or disease and not have been restored to competency;

- Not have been dishonorably discharged from the United States armed services, discharged from the United States armed services under other conditions determined by the board to be prohibitive, or dismissed from the United States armed services if a commissioned officer in the United States armed services;

- Not be required to register in this or any other state as a sex offender;

- Not have charges pending for or have been convicted in any jurisdiction of a Class B misdemeanor within the past five years, for an offense determined by the Board administrative rule to be disqualifying.

You can see the whole website by clicking on the link in my first paragraph.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.