lwpat
lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney
15417118

Ive been charged with failure to stop at a weight station,

I've been charged with failure to stop at a weight station, in Oregon. It was only one scale, and I met the FMCSA's weight requirements on each axle (gross weight). I truly didn't remember it being on the map, when I planned this trip. So I was traveling at the maximum speed, as I bypassed this weight station. As the 1st Officer became aware of this, he said, that there's a strong possibility the judge will be lenient, if I'm truthful! An appearacne in court has been set for the 27 of May, 2009. Do I need to plead "Nolo", and how long will this remain on my DAC-Report? Or is there a way to fight this case?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
A nolo plea is the same a guilty. If this is placed on your record, it will be reported to DAC and stay on there for seven years. The company is not responsible for the ticket, you are. Therefore I recommend that you retain an attorney and you also need to appear and try to work something out that will allow you to keep your job.