Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My husband filed a false police report in Georgia about an

Customer Question

My husband filed a false police report in Georgia about an accident our son had. He recanted to the sheriff the next day. Now, he has to go before the Superior Court. How should he plead and what will his consequences be?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
In Georgia, filing a false police report is a misdemeanor and is up to 1 year in jail and up to a $1000.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I already knew that part. Someone had told him he needed to plead a certain way so that it didn't go on his record and he didn't have to serve any jail time. He's never had a conviction before... clean record. And he did recant to the sheriff the day after he filed the false report. So, I was trying to figure out how he should plead to that so that it was the least punishment possible on him and his record.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If he pleads guilty or no contest (nolo contendre), it will result in a conviction and will go on his record. The only way the charge would not go on his record is if he pled not guilty and won the trial.

If this is his first run in, jail time is not likely - probably a minimal fine and probation for 6 months.

If he does plead guilty/no contest, he can likely file a petition for expungement to remove the conviction from his record after a certain time has passed.