Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.

did the good time bill pass

Customer Question

did the good time bill pass
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer.

There have been rumors going around for some time (particularly among federal prison inmates) that federal legislation has been or will be passed to reduce the amount of time that federal inmates actually serve. However, as of yet there has been neither new legislation nor a revised Bureau of Prisons rule which will accomplish this. Federal inmates are still required to serve 85% of their sentence (under the B of P rules, inmates received 54 days of good behavior credits for each year served on their sentences).

There was a proposed Federal Prison Work Incentive Act of 2008, which would have allowed for greater work incentive credits, but this act did not pass.

A new bill, HR 1475, called the "Good Time" bill, was introduced on March 12, 2009, but is still in the very earliest stages of the legislative process. This bill would reduce the amount of time served by all federal inmates except those serving life sentences. For information about this bill, see:

Thanks for asking your question here on JustAnswer. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you so much for your help. i dont understand many of the terms and nothing i went over gave me a yes or no answer. i appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. thank you
You're welcome, I'm happy to have been able to help. And thank you for the accept. If you have future questions, please let me know.