CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

Twenty one years ago I was convicted of mail fraud and served

Customer Question

Twenty one years ago I was convicted of mail fraud and served a year in a Federal facility. My question is, I am meeting people that have large projects to be funded, if I find people that will fund these projects, I am entitled to 1% of the initial funding. It is up to the investor's to investigate each project before they invest. Am I allowed to be a part of this and make money from the funding being I have a felony on my record?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 years ago.
Any investor you speak with, is investing into this company, not you. They have their own duty and responsibility, to make sure this is a sound investment and to perform their due diligence, in investigating the terms and conditions of the investment and the risk vs reward. The person who hired you to find investors, could possible ask you if you have any criminal convictions, in the hiring process. If so, you would have to disclose this to them. This prior conviction from 21 years ago, should not prevent you from finding investors and working at this job.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What would happen if the company defrauded the investor's and I got my fee, could I get in trouble for this?
You work for the company, so they would be responsible for your actions. If you knowingly made false claims to investors, you could possible get in trouble. However, it would be tough to prove you knew about fraudulent activity and your actions were intended. If you have doubts about this company, it is best to avoid getting involved.