Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice

My Landlord passed away almost 2 years ago, and his father

Customer Question

My Landlord passed away almost 2 years ago, and his father took over collecting my rent. I have paid my rent every month on time, and i was told yesturday by my landlords father that my house was put in the newspaper for a sale on the property for June the 3rd. I have never been notified of anything about this from the bank that is foreclosing on my house. My question is shouldnt i at least been notified of the sale of my house, and doesnt the bank that is foreclosing have to give me so many days to be out of the property?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 5 years ago.

Once the house sells then the bank will need to formally evict you. This will take some time. It is also possible they want to keep you as a tenant. Once the house sells it will still take some weeks before the actual transfer of tne property occurs.

Your current status is probably that of a mo nth to month tenancy. A landlord would need to give you 1 months notice once they decide to remove you from the property.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The landlord also told me that there might be people knocking on my door, wanting to come in and look at the inside of my house. Since i havent been notified of this do i have to let these people in?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 5 years ago.

Under landlord-tenant law you must provide reasonable access to the landlord. The landlord must give you 24hr advance notice. As long as the people are not causing a large imposition on your use of the property yiu will probably need to allow the intrusion.

Jack R., Lawyer
Experience: OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

But actually its not the landlord that has anything to do with the sale of the property its the bank that is foreclosing. So do you think this bank should of contacted me my now in your opinoin . And do you know if they are liable to give me moving expenses since they are putting me out? In my opinon i havent did anything wrong here.

Expert:  Jack R. replied 5 years ago.

The bank is not the owner and they will not contact you until they purchase the house at forelosure. Rught now the house is still owned by the family you have been renting from.

If they cause you to leave ahead of your lease date you can request damages for moving expenses. If they have you leave in accordance with lease provisions then there is not much you can recover.

Sometimes the bank will offer you money or other incentive to leave.