Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

If someone is on probation and leaves the state and has been

If someone is on probation and leaves the state and has been gone for 8 years and wants to return would he have to serve alot of jail time?

DearCustomer- Obviously it would depend on how long of sentence was imposed in the first place. Whatever that amount of time was on the original case could be imposed in addition to any additional charges that may have been filed such as fleeing to avoid prosecution etc. The first thing I would suggest would be to get a local attorney to approach the court to try to make some agreement before the person returns.

If an agreement can be worked out you will have a much better idea of how much time will be imposed. At this point the only length of sentence that I could estimate would be the amount of the original sentence since there is no information available to suggest otherwise.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So the remainder of my probation i would have to serve? my probation would end next year?

I didn't say you would HAVE to do anything but it is possible. That is why I suggest that you get counsel to check it out before you go back. Theoretically the judge could impose the remainder of your sentence but that is not always the case. I just can't say for certain since I don't know all the details of the case nor do I know how this particular judge deals with this type of situation.