Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

If I go to orange county court for a traffic ticket , to contest

If I go to orange county court for a traffic ticket , to contest or pay, will the judge ask that I take a voluntary DNA test. I was told this by a person who recently went to court in orange county. She said 2 swabs were taken, 1 for the county and 1 for the state. Is this true?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

This is not an automatic procedure - unless you've been arrested for a felony.

If you're just going for a traffic ticket, the court should has no right to force you to submit to such a test.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I asked if the traffic court can request on a volunteer basis for one to take a dna, not on a mandatory basis. Thank you
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
You can volunteer to do anything - but they can't force you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I should say is it likely the traffic court would ask for one's dna, either for the state of california or for the county of orange
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
No, the court should not even ask for it with regard to a traffic ticket. Again, it is mandatory as of January 1, 2009 for all suspects charged with felonies to give DNA samples - that's it.