Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I have recieved 2 misdeanor charges. One for soliciting prostitution

I have recieved 2 misdeanor charges. One for soliciting prostitution (charges dropped) and one for posession of marijuana (withheld adjudication w/ fine) both in florida . I am in medical school can i possibly be able to get a residency or a medical licsence?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

yes. but you should check with the court and see how they appear on your record and if they are present - then you will need to get an expungement and the clerk can give you that paperwork to file -

if the charges were dropped there should be nothing - but the arrest record would need to be sealed and you can ask the clerk for those forms, too.

on the adjudication withheld, this is viewed as a conviction, so you will probably see it on your record. when you file for the expungement, file to have that arrest record sealed, too

the clerk cannot give you legal advice but they can give you the proper forms to file and any written instructions on how to file the documents

good luck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My laywer applied for the expungement of the prostitution charges in august 2008 but I have not recieved an answer . I got the judgement for the marijuana case in march 2009I dont think i can apply for sealing of this charge
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

if it was not a felony, you should not be precluded from obtaining your medical licenses - boards of licensing will deny with felonies, but not misdemeanors . though you might be asked about it - so you will need to be prepared to explain the minor incident, and what you have done since then to correct the behavior.