How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a restraining order against my ex (I am in California)

Customer Question

I received a restraining order against my ex (I am in California) Am I correct in thinking that it is only in effect for 3 years? It was brought up during my divorce hearing that he wanted me to drop it, I refused. If it is only in effect for 3 years, will I have to go back to court to have it reissued? How do you receive a permanent restraining order against someone?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- You would have to read the restraining order to see when it terminates. Restraining orders are based on the circumstances surrounding the situation at the time they are issued. Many times the need for the order no longer exists. If your restraining order expires after three years and you still have reason to believe your ex is a danger to you then you can apply to the court to have it continued.


You would have to ask the court to make the order permanent since only the court could make such an order.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law