Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

I received a restraining order against my ex (I am in California)

Customer Question

I received a restraining order against my ex (I am in California) Am I correct in thinking that it is only in effect for 3 years? It was brought up during my divorce hearing that he wanted me to drop it, I refused. If it is only in effect for 3 years, will I have to go back to court to have it reissued? How do you receive a permanent restraining order against someone?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- You would have to read the restraining order to see when it terminates. Restraining orders are based on the circumstances surrounding the situation at the time they are issued. Many times the need for the order no longer exists. If your restraining order expires after three years and you still have reason to believe your ex is a danger to you then you can apply to the court to have it continued.

You would have to ask the court to make the order permanent since only the court could make such an order.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law