N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

I just had criminal charges filed against me for a 653m, subdivision

I just had criminal charges filed against me for a 653m, subdivision a misdemeanor if found guilty what is the most that can happen. I currenlty do not have a criminal record or ever been in trouble with the law?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 7 years ago. has 653m.

It looks like 6 months in county jail is the maximum sentence but many times a person with prior convictions will be able to negotiate a plea bargain for straight probation with no jail time.
If you tell me where the case against you was filed I can look for criminal defense lawyers in that area who offer a free consultation and could advise you based on knowing more of the facts and their knowledge of the local courts.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Palm Springs Indio Court
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Correction right now it is just a misdemanor complaint, and so I am waiting arraignment. So I am wondering what can this turn into, and what is the most that can happen, I only left one message for this indiviual and I have no prior's.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 7 years ago. is a directory of criminal defense attorneys in your area, some of whom offer a free consultation.

If you cannot afford an attorney you will plead not guilty at the arraignment and ask the court to appoint counsel to assist in your defense.

A first misdemeanor can often be plea bargained. As I said the maximum sentence is 6 months but I do not know what you said on the phone so I don't know if you are guilty or not. Please discuss this with a local atttorney.