LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

how can i obtain all the agencies that I need to contact regarding

Customer Question

How can i obtain all the agencies that I need to contact regarding an expunction of my case...i had an attorney say, there are about 20-25 agencies that my hold my criminal record. I am doing pro se because I cannot afford the legal fees so I am doing all the leg work myself. I need to know all the agencies that I need to send my expunction granted papers to so that I can make sure to get my record cleared from all the appropriate agencies. Please help!!!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed Texas attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify this point so I can best address your inquiry:

1. I just want to make sure I am understand your situation correctly. Are you saying you have already obtained an order of expunction and now want to notify the various agencies? Or, are you wanting to know how to obtain your criminal history record in preparation for petitioning the Court for expunction?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have an order of expunction and now want to notify the various agencies. One attorney said that their are about 20-25 agencies that I need to contact. I am trying to figure out what they are.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed Texas attorney, and I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. Thank you for taking the time to write back and supply the additional requested information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry.
  2. Congratulations on winning your expunction case! Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Article 55.02 actually requires the attachment of, "...a list of all law enforcement agencies...the petitioner has reason to believe have records or files that are subject to expunction." It is an exhaustive list and covers just about every conceivable agency, so you should actually have that list in hand. Under the same provision, notice was also provided to each agency you disclosed, so I am a bit confused as to why your attorney would not have those names and addresses.
  3. Also, it is actually not your burden to make these notifications under Texas law. Once the expunction order is issued, the same provision commands the clerk of the court to "...send a certified copy of the order to the Crime Records
    Service of the Department of Public Safety and to each official or agency or other entity of this state or of any political subdivision of this state designated by the person who is the subject of the order." Thereafter, upon receiving notification from the clerk, each agency or entity is mandated to comply with the order and return all specified records or obliterate them. In turn, the clerk is under a duty to certain to the Court that the records have been destroyed.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am very sorry...I misinformed you...I am representing myself for this Expunction petition. I have all of the Petition filled out except for the exhausting listing of 20-25 agencies that may have my record. I have not won the expunction yet. I cannot afford to pay an attorney so I am doing the leg work myself. I had spoak to an attorney and she told me about the list of 20-25 agencies that she would contact if i paid her for her services but i cannot afford them. In order for me to finish the petition, I just need all those names of agencies to include. Can you help me with finding the list of all the agencies? I am willing to pay a little more to you as well. I think I should win my expunction. I dont have any other pending issues. My record will be perfectly clean after this does get expunged. I dont think there is any reason that I should get denied. I have read 55.02 and totally qualify under the law. Have you seen people represent themselves on an expunction??? My main question is i am need that list of 20-25 agencies so I can include them with my petition.

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back and providing the clarification. I appreciate that, and please no need to apologize. Now this all makes sense. I think I can help you, but I will need to ask a few questions. Could you provide a "mini rap sheet" of sorts? What I mean by that is it would be very helpful if you could let me know the following items as far as you know:

1. Actual names of any convictions (names of offense, i.e. just for example "criminal trespass", "forgery", etc.)
  2. Are you seeking to expunge any arrests which did not result in an actual conviction?
  3. Dates (even approximate) of prior convictions?
  4. Names of any arresting agencies you can recall?
  5. Names of any Courts handing down convictions you can recall?
  6. Do you have any prior federal charges or arrests, or only a state record?
  7. Names of any institutions (i.e. jails, prisons) where you were confined?
  8. Names of any agencies (i.e. probation, parole) providing community supervision?
  9. Names of any registries with whom you had to register (i.e. sex offender)?

I apologize for such a lengthy list, but any and all information and details you can provide will be helpful and much appreciated.

I will be working in this forum periodically over the weekend, and I will be sure to check back for any updated posts from you.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. Indecent Exposure - It has been 4 years since the arrest. Case dismissed April 9, 2009. I am past the 2 yr statute of limitations so I qualify to expunge.
2. I am seeking to expunge my arrest which did not result in actual conviction. The dismissal reason was, "Unable to prove beyond reasonable doubt". Basically, no proof.
3. I have no other priors...clean record...This happened on July 25, 2009.
4. The only arresting agencies was San Antonio Park Police in San Antonio, TX. Undercover Park Police through SAPD
5. The only court I have gone to through the whole ordeal was, "County Court of Law # XXXXX Judge Garrahan.
6. No prior federal charges or arrests...nothing else except this case.
7. The only place I was confined was the San Antonio jail. It was write next to the municipal courthouse. It was like a holding cell for processing. I got bailed out that evening so I never went to the county jail.
8. No probation or community supervision. Because my case was totally dismissed, I didn't have to deal with those things.
8. I didn't have to register because case was dismissed.

Please let me know what other info you need. You can even call me if thats easier. I think my answers should answer all your questions.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, based on what I have told you...do you see any reason for me not to win the expunction? I have been reading all the laws and I think I dont have any reason to get denied. Talk to you soon.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As far as agencies...if you can only get me names, I can look up addresses on the internet. I am going to get you at least $30.00 for your help. I appreciate it!

Hello again,

Many thanks for writing back. I will have your answer posted tomorrow (Sunday), but I just wanted to let you know I had not forgotten about you. I lost some online time due to inclement weather, so I am working to catch up. I will make sure to be back in touch with you just as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not a problem! I appreciate your help. I look forward to hearing from you later today.

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back and especially for your patience in bearing with me. I appreciate your taking the time to provide such comprehensive details. I have good news to share on two fronts. First, while of course I can make no guarantees, I think you stand an outstanding chance for successfully obtaining the relief of expungement. The statutory language in cases such as yours is mandatory...i.e. the Court shall, as opposed to discretionary...the Court may. I can see absolutely no impediments to expunction, and frankly I would shocked not to see your record be expunged. Also, Texas law on expungement is the strongest in the Union as compared to other jurisdictions. Specifically, Texas law affords an actual destruction (in the language of the statute...obliteration) of the records. The remedy is much stronger than an order of non-disclosure. In effect, it puts you right back on the same footing as prior to the arrest. Secondly, the particulars of your case necessitate notifying fewer agencies than in many cases. When you take away matters such as sex offender registries, federal charges, penitentiary time, etc., this leaves a fairly manageable list. You want to be as comprehensive as possible, but if you happen to omit an agency you can always have them notified at a later time. I realize that is not ideal, but I mention it just in case.

Here are the agencies I would include in your petition:

San Antonio Police Chief

Main Headquarters

214 West Nueva

San Antonio, TX 78283

Bexar County Sheriff

200 North Comal

San Antonio, TX 78207

Bexar County Deputy Chief Jail Operations

200 North Comal

San Antonio, TX 78207

Bexar County District Attorney

300 Dolorosa, 5th Floor

San Antonio, TX 78205

Bexar County District Clerk

100 Dolorosa, 1st Floor

San Antonio, TX 78205

Bexar County Justice of the Peace Precinct 1

218 South Laredo Street
San Antonio, TX 78207

Bexar County Justice of the Peace Precinct 2

6715 Bandera Road, Room 123
San Antonio, TX 78238

Bexar County Justice of the Peace Precinct 3

8918 Tesoro Drive, Suite 300
San Antonio, TX 78217

Bexar County Justice of the Peace Precinct 4

2711 S.E. Loop 410 South
San Antonio, Texas 78222

Texas Department of Public Safety

Crime Records Division

P.O. Box 4087

Austin, TXNNN-NN-NNNN

Federal Bureau of Investigation

Record Information/Dissemination Section

170 Marcel Drive

Winchester, VANNN-NN-NNNN

The list is considerably shorter in your case especially owing to the stage of proceedings at which the charge was dismissed. That eliminates the bulk of the some 20 or more agencies often mentioned in Texas expungement cases. That number encompasses probation and parole agencies, as well as some other state and federal entities not raised in your circumstances.

If I might add a personal comment, I just want to commend you for taking this step. It sounds like you have an otherwise exemplary record. The circumstances surrounding your arrest, especially the location, cause me to think I may have a clue as to what allegedly took place. If I am correct in my assumption, this has been an area of ongoing concern with the San Antonio Police Department. I have heard that the situation has improved some through the appointment of a liaison. I may be totally off base, and it really does not matter either way. Regardless, I hope that this information will be of some help to you as you go on with your life.

Take care and thanks again for using JustAnswer®.

[Please click the "Accept" button. This is the only way I will get paid for my services.]

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Benjamin Burt, JR.,

Hello...I thought I'd give you an update on this question you helped me with a couple years ago!!! I did get my record expunged. Like you said, my chances were very likely. Since getting my record cleared for something I was not guilty of, I have accomplished alot in life. I actually went to nursing school and I work in the pediactric home health field. It would have been tougher to get into nursing school with something like this on my record. Going through all of that, and doing all of the work for the most part, my self, I feel that Law could be an avenue field I may seek one day. I am very anylitical and can speak very well in front of people. Anyways, just thought I'd give you a friendly "Hello" and thanks again!!!

Sincerely,

Jason L. Rhoades