socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I recently left my employer and turned in my company laptop.

I recently left my employer and turned in my company laptop. I had viewed porn on this laptop over the time I had it (I did not download files - just viewed at the website server level). None of it was child porn (to my knowledge), but I am now very worried that all of these "hidden files" that windows keeps may leave a trail for them to give the laptop to law enforcement and try to make some sort of child porn case. They have reason to try and discredit me from a legal standpoint because they cannot do it from a civil standpoint (I have a separation agreement with them that gags both parties). Help!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

Not likely. Most large corporation IT departments routinely wipe employee hard disks as soon as they recover the computer in order to mitigate the possibility of the employee later using somthing on the hard disk to sue the employer.

Even if there were incriminating files on the computer -- now that it's no longer in your hands, who is to say that the files weren't downloaded by someone in IT. A good computer tech can modify the file dates, so that's not reliable evidence.

Finally, remember that law enforcement needs a better than 50% chance that you've committed a crime to arrest you, and proof beyond all reasonable doubt to convict. So, making a case here, without some really good evidence would be a low probability outcome for a public prosecutor who has better things to do with taxpayer funds.

Prosecutors keep their job by winning cases, not by charging defendants and then losing.

<p class="text-13-black" align="left"><u>Terms and Conditions</u>: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "<b><u>Accept</u></b>", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.</p>

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. I'm embarrassed to even have to ask these questions, but it's kept me up at nights. I should also mention that the laptop in question was given to the employer one year ago (but I think they just put it on the shelf and did not re-issue it)...so I guess that would make the tampering defense even stronger. The most recent laptop I turned in at my departure had nothing on it.

But I've also heard that they can obtain website records from my internet service provider? Is this making it easier for the prosecution to go after people?

I think you have an exalted image of the available resources of a typical public prosecutor's office.

Anything is possible. But, what you are describing doesn't seem real likely, at least not to me.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)