Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

my boyfriend was sentenced in 2007 to 5 years prison and 5

my boyfriend was sentenced in 2007 to 5 years prison and 5 years special parole for a drug charge and non-sex related risk of injury charge. His special parole is schedule to begin 5/7/09. An article in the CT Law library states that as of 2/2008, special parole can only be given to sex offenders and persistent offenders. Can we go back into court and have his special parole thrown out and maybe converted to regular parole?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

here is the law on who special parole can be imposed on - and it states when one is " sentenced as a (a) persistent dangerous felony offender or (b) persistent serious felony offender"

so if your BF was sentenced as such then the court is correct. if he has prior arrests - does not need to be convictions, then he can be deemed "persistent"

if that is not the case, then he can file for a modification in his sentence and request the change