Ali Kirk
Ali Kirk, Lawyer
Experience:  14+ years experience in misdemeanor and felony trials and appeals.

I was caught stealing on the job for totaling 112.00. This

I was caught stealing on the job for totaling 112.00. This my first offense, I don't have a record, I'm thirty years old and very sorry. Times are very hard now I have no job still no excuses. Tell me the worse I live in lima, oh. Am I going to jail.
Hello, thank you for your question.

Theft of property or merchandise of under $300 is considered a first degree misdemeanor in Ohio. It is technically punishable under the law by up to 6 months in jail, a fine, or both.

While a judge has the authority to sentence you to jail, as a first time offender with no criminal record, you would likely just get a fine, probation, court costs, community service, or a combination of any or all of these things. Petty theft is actually a very minor offense.

You may wish to consult with a local criminal defense attorney or the public defender to discuss this matter further. Typically, attorneys with 1-5 years experience offer lower fees.

Good luck to you. If you have any additional questions, please press the reply button, and I will be happy to assist you further.

I hope you found my answer helpful. Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you, as I am not paid by the Just Answer wesbite, even if you put a deposit down. A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER (I really don’t like this but it is necessary): This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for “Legal Informational” purposes only and should not be confused with “Legal Advice” and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.