P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

My son was caught at 19 having sex with a sexually active 15

My son was caught at 19 having sex with a sexually active 15 year old he was charged with statutory rape he is out on bond will he serve jail time or have to register as a sex offender at 19 in our state of Georgia?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist

If he is convicted of statutory rape, he will require registration...in fact most of the related offenses would require registration.

In GA the age of consent is 16.

Your son should work with his attorney to determine 1. the strength of the government case...if it is not strong perhaps you can contest the case on the facts. 2. if there is a reasonable plea bargain available. It may be that the DA will allow a plea to a charge that does not require registration...that decision is up to the DA alone.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.