Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

Am I guilty of anything here

Customer Question

On 4/20/09 at approximately 0941hours, I responded toXXXXXHyattsville, Prince Georges County mayland, for a domestic complaint. Upon my arrival Officer cruz #2922 advised that there may be possible injuries and the fire department had been notified. We entered the building and knocked on the victim's apartment door. The arrested opened the apartment door and was detained in the hallway by Officer Cruz #2922. Upon entering the apartment I heard the victim saying "I ok". The victim was hiding in the bedroom and did not want to come out, she kept saying I ok. I made contact with the victim who was bloody due to a laceration above her right eye. The victim also had bruises on her left arm and the bruise on her right knee. The victim's story did not coincide with the bruises on her body. There were no dragged marks or gravel marks on the victim. The bruise on the victim's right arm looked like a bite mark. The victim was treated on the scene by Ambulance for injuries. The Arrested was taken into custody and transported to Hyattsville DOC for processing. During conversation the Arrested stated that he had priors for similar incident and that the case was dismissed due to the fact that his wife possible had invoked her rights. All events occurred in the Prince Georges’s County Maryland. The victim in this case is Bourzabe Djamnone (NB: last line added by commissioner by pen).
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

thank you for those facts - can you tell me what your role is in this matter - are you the defendant?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am the defendant and husband of the victim with one daughter of 3 years old.

What I sent was the police report after my arrest. I provided background information in the additional window. i hope that information will help in answering my questions.
Also, I am a PhD student and missed my notes because of that arrest for a week.
Thanks.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

thank you for that additional information.

if you are not guilty, then you need to say you are not guilty. if this is an argument that got out of hand and she was the aggressor, whose actions caused her injuries, than you need to explain what happened -

of course, i hope you are not going to represent yourself in this matter - you really need to consult with a local attorney - the MD judges are very jumpy with DV cases since there have been instances where they have been harshly chastised - i believe one Prince George County judge resigned in lieu of disbarment for not issuing a protective order - for not taking DV cases seriously.

of course, the state is going to have to depend on testimony from your wife and as she was granted marital privilege once, the law is she does not get it again in a DV matter in MD. and they can subpoena her as a witness and treat her as a "hostile witness, if necessary. so if you have an attorney, the attorney can help to explain what took place and maybe get the matter placed on an inactive docket - meaning if not more incidents then this matter goes away after a year.

i think i have answered all your questions; but do follow up, if need be

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am thinking of applying for a Public Defender with the court.

As I wrote it, the origin of this matter is my cell phone that my wife took and hid it away from me.

Till now, she has the cell phone and confiscated it. In fact, when i was in prison, I managed to call a friend to let him know that I was arrested. The friend told me while in prison the same day that he called me and my wife answered my cell phone. She said she did not know my whereabouts and just answered the phone because it ran.I immediately called my wife on her cell phone and she alleged she found my cell phone in my car while I was arrested.

As you said, I have the picture of the drain hole where my wife hurt herself while falling. My car has automatic door lock function and the windowa also automatically lock from inside. So I was in my car and my car did nothing to my wife (no drag, no bump etc.).

So it is up to my wife to prove how I dragged her or inflicted the bruises and eye laceration. She is a kind of lying woman and I have been facing such situation for 4 years she's been with me.

As a matter of fact, I want to divorce her before or after this case because i can't take it anymore. She sent me two times to jail just to say that the law gives women opportunity in the USA to call 911 and send husbands to jail. Not only that, she tells me everyday that she will send me to prison and enjoy her life after.

I became an asylee last year and filed for the Derivative Asylum for my wife. Right now, she is out of status and if I divorce her, she will not get the paper and stay in that status or leave the country.

Questions:

1. Thanks for your reply but if I get a lawyer, are there any points to focus on in order to prove my innocence to the judge?

2. Should I file my divorce paper now or wait until the case is over on June 4th,09 to do so?

3. My wife is my dependant,do I have any prerogative to ask or the Immigration to send her back to our native country to avoid further dramas and situations?
4. I am a student and ran out of many for the semester and can't afford a private lawyer. In case I don't get a Public Defender, what alternative to look for in this case?
Hope to hear from you as soon as possible.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

you are correct that it is up to the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you caused the injuries to your wife - so you will need to file for the public defender - contact that office first thing on Monday and make an appointment to see them to see if you qualify financially - mostly, the PD is reserved for the indigent - here is a link to that office

not all offices do intake so you might want to call call 1-877-430-5187 and see where you can go for intake - also, they might tell you that you need to wait for your first court appearance where you would plead not guilty and ask for the PD assistance

remember, it is not up to you to prove your innocence - just relay the facts as it happened. again, maybe this can be placed on an inactive docket.

you can file for divorce now - these matters take time and therefore, will not hurt you. though there may be some benefit because you can explain to the judge you have filed because she is a terror and makes up things because she feels she can abuse the system

i am not familiar with immigration law - but you can certainly post such a question here in the Immigration Law department.

it is possible you would qualify for the PD, as a student if you have no assets - for instance a home that you could get a second mortgage or line of credit on to pay a private attorney

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry for not replying back to your message and Accept the payment for few days. I was away and need to do it today. However, I have a last question:

I have a Public Defender today and my interview with her is scheduled for May 22, 09. I am writing what happened so that she could have a clear idea about this case. I have pictures of the drain and how my car moved. However, I read and re-read the police report and wondered why I was sent to jail if they did not believe my wife's story. Is it because there was a probable cause? Here is the line I would like to have your opinion once more on. Please, help me on how to relate that line with my testimony and show my innocence:

"The victim was hiding in the bedroom and did not want to come out, she kept saying I ok. I made contact with the victim who was bloody due to a laceration above her right eye. The victim also had bruises on her left arm and the bruise on her right knee. The victim's story did not coincide with the bruises on her body. There were no dragged marks or gravel marks on the victim. The bruise on the victim's right arm looked like a bite mark. The victim was treated on the scene by Ambulance for injuries."

Also, I got an expungement for the first case the police report mentioned. I just told the police woman that the same woman sent me to prison before but she insinuated that this time I will not get away with it. Anyway, I would like to know what is the incidence of placing this case on an inactive docket and my "criminal record". Is an inactive docket like a "protective order" or a "probation" here!

Since we still live together with my wife, will it have any incidence on the outcome of this case? Will the state attorney consult with my wife before the trial date? hope to hear from you and click on the "Accept" button as soon as possible. Thanks and bless you in your endeavors.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

thank you for your follow up information.

using the informaton from the police report you can indicate how the police witnessed injuries that were not consistent with her information on how the injuries occurred. therefore, she made the incident up merely to have you charged as she stated "you will not get away with it"

if you and your wife are still cohabiting then, yes, that would be to your benefit - because if she is so afraid of you why would she let you back into the home - an inactive docket is a probationary period as i explained previously - you will be told there are to be no more incidents -

yes, the SA will speak with your wife before any hearings, of course, to get her side of the story and see if it is consistent - the SA are very good as ascertaining anything that might be fabricated or does not jive with the facts as laid out in the police report, etc.

i think it is good you have the PD and you should really direct any other questions to them as they will be representing you and you should listen to their advice. i cannot give you legal advice - i can only provide guidance and interpretation of the laws, etc

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your advice and talk to you later. I clicked on Accept so that you could received your pay.

Regards,

Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

thank you and good luck with everything. let me know, if there is anything else.