Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

My son was arrested in Crown Point, IN in March for speeding

My son was arrested in Crown Point, IN in March for speeding and for having approx 8 grams of marijuana. We live in Milwaukee and have a court hearing in a week. My question is what kind of sentence do the judges usually impose for this time of crime? He has never been in trouble before, and he is 23 years old.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

if the possession is 30 grams or less, the possible penalty is one year and/or a $5000 fine.

for a first offender, a conditional discharge is possible - where the judge would impose probation and substance abuse treatment counseling. if that is completed successfully, then the matter could be expunged from his record. of course, there are court costs involved and if you explain that you do not have the finances to pay a heffty fine, ask for mercy and explain that there will be costs to the substance abuse counseling, etc - again it is possible to have the fine reduced -

the speeding will also invoke a fine - but you can ask no points be assessed.