J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.

my daughter and a friend were caught outside the mall with

Customer Question

my daughter and a friend were caught outside the mall with goods not paid so they were both charged with grand theft 3rd degree a felony we all scared to death please can you explain to us what would be possible penalties for both if it's first time please?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.
What state did this occur in?

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
miami, florida
The maximum penalty for a Felony in the Third Degree under Florida Law is:

5 years jail and/or $5,000 fine.

That is the maximum amount. For first time offenders it is likely to be far less.

The girls should make restitution to the business they stole from before they have to go to court. This means giving back the property (if they still have it) or paying for its value (if it was confiscated by the police). If they can show that they have already done this when they go to court, it will portray them favorably.

It's likely that the girls will get sentenced to some jail time, but it will probably be suspended. This means that they will not have to actually go to jail unless they get into trouble while they are on probation.

They will likely be sentenced to pay fines and court costs, which could be upwards of $1,000. It is also likely that some of the fines would be suspended as witht the jail time.

There might be a way of avoiding some fines/jail sentence, if they volunteer to do a significant amount of community service.

The girls should each get an attorney to make sure they are represented effectively. If they can't afford one, they can apply for a court appointed attorney.