CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

Texas interlock device laws and penalties

I have been ordered to install an interlock device on my vehicle. However...The only vehicle i own is a motorcycle. which i was driving at the time of arrest. device cannot be installed on bike. I have no access to any other vehicles. magistrate refuses to lift order. can texas impound my bike for non compliance, and what is the penalties if they issue a warrant. I have 28 days to comply. I just want to know what i can do to avoid being in contempt of this order. Also is this a seperate issue from my dwi case that has no court date as of yet. Thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 years ago.
The best thing to do, to avoid being in contempt, is to call the company and have them come out and try to install the device on your motorcycle. If they say they cant, obtain a letter from them, stating this, so you could provide you complied with the order and it is not possible. The Magistrate may then consider a temporary immobilization of the vehicle as an alternative. This is separate and apart from the DWI case. You may have additional things ordered by the court, which you need to comply with, when you case is resolved.