How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i voluntarily admit to a charge that is brought against

Resolved Question:

if i voluntarily admit to a charge that is brought against my wife would they dimiss the charge against her.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.


To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:


  1. What is your jurisdiction (state)?

  2. What is the charge in question?


Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.


2 false statements to obtain credit

Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed Texas attorney with criminal law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. Thank you for taking the time to write back and supply the additional requested information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry. I am sorry for the situation, and I hope that everything gets resolved appropriately for you in this matter.
  2. "if i voluntarily admit to a charge that is brought against my wife would they dismis the charge against her." The answer is a qualified "Yes". I say that with the caveat that the decision of whether or not to dismiss the charges against your wife lies solely in the discretion of the prosecutor. As a practical matter, however, I would expect that to happen. The elements of the offense are codified in Texas Penal Code § 32.32. Unless there are grounds to prosecute both of you (i.e. co-defendant, accomplice), then the case pretty much dissolves and dismissal would be the usual next step.

  3. I say all of this in reply to your direct question, but I would also strongly caution you to give serious consideration to the negative impact that a conviction would have on your life. This is true not only in terms of the initial punishment, but also in a lifetime criminal record. For this particular offense, one involving moral turpitude and dishonestly, it could also close the door to many professional and occupational opportunities as well.

  4. Prior to making any such admissions, I would implore you to at least sit down with a criminal defense attorney and explore your options. Even if you do go through with your plan, a lawyer can coordinate your surrender and try to obtain the most favorable outcome on your behalf. The most economical way to accomplish this would be to purchase a half-hour session for $20 through the State Bar of Texas Lawyer Referral Information Service. It would be money well spent.

  5. I would be glad to interact with you further on this topic even after you click "accept" to process my answer. I will be signing off for the night soon, but I will be sure to check back for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum again tomorrow.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you