Ali Kirk
Ali Kirk, Lawyer
Experience:  14+ years experience in misdemeanor and felony trials and appeals.
14749378

As a prosecutor After you have successfully prosecuted a rapist,

As a prosecutor: After you have successfully prosecuted a rapist, you uncover evidence that indicates that the victim in the case created the story to avenge a love affair that went sour. What do you do? What would you do if you knew that the suspect was charged with rape on two other occasions but was not convicted due to legal technicalities?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ali Kirk replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question.

I think this is subject somewhat to interpretation (so you may get different opinions depending on who you ask) but as a lawyer, and (I would hope) especially as a prosecutor, you have an ethical obligation to bring new evidence that you are made aware of to the court's attention. That's especially true where the new evidence you learn could free an innocent person. The fact that the suspect was previously charged with rape but not convicted due to technicalities shouldn't even come into play; as attorneys, we take an oath to uphold our system of justice, to bring honor and honesty to the court and to represent our clients zealously and fairly. As a prosecutor, your clients are the public at large, and that includes the suspect. If he was able to get off on a technicality, then that to me is proof that the system in fact works.

I think a prosecutor also realizes that they aren't going to win every case, that sometimes the guilty (or those that appear guilty) will go free, but you can never hide or withhold evidence to punish the innocent.

Good luck to you. If you have any additional questions, please press the reply button, and I will be happy to assist you further.

I hope you found my answer helpful. Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you, as I am not paid by the Just Answer wesbite. A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER (I really don’t like this but it is necessary): This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for “Legal Informational” purposes only and should not be confused with “Legal Advice” and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.