David Weilbacher, Esq.
David Weilbacher, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal & Civil Litigation, Estate Planning, Probate, and Bankruptcy
16956515

In 2005 I went to court for welfare fraud. WI 10980(C)2 OBTAIN

In 2005 I went to court for welfare fraud. WI 10980(C)2 OBTAIN AID BY FRAUD OVER $400 AND PC 487(A) GRAND THEFT : PROPERTY WICH IS A MISDEMEANOR .AND I WAS SENTENCED TO THREE YEARS PROBATION AND A FINE AND HAD TO PAY RESTITUTION .OK NOW IM BACK IN COURT FOR FAILURE TO PAY RESTITUTION I HAVE A HEARING ON APRIL 28TH OF 2009 WHAT ARE THE PENALTIES FOR THIS I ALSO DONT HAVE ANY PRIORS BESIDES THIS AND I LIVE IN BAKERSFIELD CALIFORNIA ,KERN COUNTY MY CASE NUMBER XXXXX XXXXX WHICH IS A MISDEMEANOR PLEASE HELP THANK YOU
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  David Weilbacher, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You will not be facing new charges for failure to pay the restitution; however, the court could impose all or a portion of any suspended sentence from the original charges. The court is more interest in the restitution than sending you to jail. If you can pay now, you should go to the court prepared to pay that day. Or, even better, pay it before you get to court.

This is probably coming you three years later because it has just popped up in a routine audit of cases.

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so proper credit is provided for your Answer. Thank you and have a good day. This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. It is also to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. This website is not intended to give you specific legal advice. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance.