David Weilbacher, Esq.
David Weilbacher, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal & Civil Litigation, Estate Planning, Probate, and Bankruptcy
16956515

I am a DMV victim, it happened in May 2000. My ex-husband (as

I am a DMV victim, it happened in May 2000. My ex-husband (as of 10/30/08) got an attorney and coerced me into getting one to say I hit him first and to let the prosecuter know I was uncooperative in going to court. My ex was very manipulative, controlling and scared me into doing this. He was arrested that night and spent 2 nights in jail and disobeyed the judge's no contact order. My question is, the case never went to court, can I re-open this or press charges somehow? I was to scared while we were married afraid he'd kill me. He also was convicted in 1994 of DMV against me, that did go to court.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  David Weilbacher, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The statute of limitations in Washington State is 5 years for a Class C Felony, and only 2 years for a Gross Misdemeanor. So, it is unlikely a prosecutor would press charges at this point. Also, if I understand your question correctly, charges were pressed, but then drop when you indicated that you would not cooperate with the prosecution. This further complicates the matter, because even if the statute of limitations were not expired, the prosecutor would have to deal with your making prior inconsistent statements.

Legal Status of Assisted Suicide/Euthanasia in the United States

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so proper credit is provided for your Answer. Thank you and have a good day. This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. It is also to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. This website is not intended to give you specific legal advice. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance.