David Weilbacher, Esq.
David Weilbacher, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal & Civil Litigation, Estate Planning, Probate, and Bankruptcy

I was just informed by a former girlfriend that she was taking

I was just informed by a former girlfriend that she was taking out a warrent for my arrest because she thinks while I was at her house I stole her camera. I did not take the camera. But she seems to think I did and said she is taliking to a detective to file charges. I believe the camera is just misplaced or something. It is under 500.00 dollars. What are my options? Can she do this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  David Weilbacher, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
She can certainly file a complaint with the police, there is nothing you can do to prevent her from doing so. The police may or may not investigate. If they come to talk to you, just tell them you did not take the camera. Unless you are found in possession of the camera, or it is some how traced to you, the police will not have the evidence to file charges. The ex-girlfriend's accusations alone are not enough to get you prosecuted in a case like this.

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so proper credit is provided for your Answer. Thank you and have a good day. This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. It is also to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. This website is not intended to give you specific legal advice. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance.