DPerezLaw, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  8+ years Legal Experience - Former Prosecutor - Misdemeanors, Felonies and Juvenile

What does it mean when an arrest for a DUI (.08 alcohol) (Law

Customer Question

What does it mean when an arrest for a DUI (.08 alcohol) (Law Code/Section VTL 1192.2. 02) is accompanied by "aggravated unlicensed oper. vehicle 3" (Law Code/Section VTL 511.1 01)?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  DPerezLaw replied 7 years ago.

The relationship is a bad one. What this means is that your friend is accused of driving under the influence and his/her license was suspended at the time. 511 is as follows:

"Aggravated Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle in the Third Degree (VTL 511 (1)): A person may be charged with aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the third degree, a misdemeanor, when such person operates a motor vehicle while knowing or having reason to know that such person's license or privilege of operating a motor vehicle is suspended or revoked. The penalty is a fine of $200-$500 or up to thirty days in prison, or both.

511.1, as noted, is a misdemeanor. However, the penalties are prescribed in the offense.

Essentially, depending on why your friend's license is suspended or revoked and his/her past history, your friend's sentence may be greater than if for a DUI by itself. The best thing your friend can do is beg and borrow (not steal :-) money and hire an attorney. Without knowing the facts, I can tell you that there are many defenses to DUI and the Unlicensed operator citation. As to the Unlicensed operator charge, sometimes that can be dropped down to an unknowingly - which is just a traffic infraction.

Good Luck.

D. Perez

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with "For DPerezLaw"