Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

How does bail bonding work The bond is $10K for assault of

Customer Question

How does bail bonding work? The bond is $10K for assault of a police officer. If we put up the 10K and the case is dropped, do we get the 10K back? If we go through a bail bondsman - how does that work?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
This involves the defendant providing a collateral to the bail bondsman. The bail bondsman or bail bond company representative will then guarantee to pay the court if the defendant fails to appear for trial, by posting a surety bail bond power of attorney with the jail or court. After the defendant has completed all court appearances and the case is closed, the bail bond will be dissolved and any collateral given to the bail bondsman will be returned to the defendant shortly thereafter - less the fee to the bondsman.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p> I guess I didn't make myself clear on one question. If I personally put up the 10K (not going through a bail bond co) - if the defendent makes all his court appearances, and the the case is closed (whether he is guilty, innocent or if the case is dismissed) will I get the money back?</p>
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
Yes. Sorry for the confusion. A bail bond is through a bondsman.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p>I'm not sure what is happening. I accepted the answer and authorized the payment, however, it appears things are stuck in a loop. So I'm going to shut down - because I'm afraid it looks like it may have authorized the payment more than once. </p>
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
This question was not paid for. However, you have 2 questions listed. Maybe you paid for the other one.