How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13250
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

ok i have a brother out of south dakota, he got out of prison

Customer Question

ok i have a brother out of south dakota, he got out of prison about 2 years ago and he wants to know if he needs to register as a sex offender in this state if so then how?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 7 years ago.

Dear ob,


It depends on whether the crime he was convicted of requires it - he would find that information in his conviction and sentencing paperwork. However, if he can't locate those papers, he should definitely err on the side of caution and take the steps necessary via the registry - they should also be able to confirm for him if he is a required registrant.


Hope this helps to clarify.

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger and can not create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. If your question was in fact answered appropriately please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and I receive credit for my work from the company. This will not cost you anything, if you already deposited to the company for this service. Your promptness is greatly appreciated. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you need additional related follow up on this particular question afterwards, don't hesitate to Reply and I'm happy to help you. And if you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks!




Stephanie Joy



My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advise and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you and have a great day.


AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13250
Experience: 19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.
AlexiaEsq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it would help if u could explain more of the steps of what to do cuz 30 bucks is asking alot for a soldiers brother who is in trouble
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 7 years ago.
Hi Ob, no problem. Could you tell me what county in SD he is in?
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 7 years ago.


Dear ob,


SDCL 22-24B-1 identifies the pertinent sex crimes, and those convicted must register as a sex offender.


The crimes include:


Rape (22-22-1),

Felony Sexual Contact with a Minor (22-22-7),

Sexual Contact with a Person Incapable of Consenting (22-22-7.2),


Possessing, Manufacturing, or Distributing Child Pornography (22-24A-3),

Sale of Child Pornography (22-42A-1),

Sexual Exploitation of a Minor (22-22-24.3),

Kidnapping, if the victim is a minor (22-19-1),

Promotion of Prostitution of a Minor (22-23-2(2)),

Criminal Pedophilia (22-22-30.1),

Felony Indecent Exposure (22-24-1),

Felony Indecent Exposure (22-24-1.3)

Indecent Exposure (22-24-1.2),

Solicitation of a Minor (22-24A.5),

Bestiality (22-22-42).


Also included are:

any attempts to commit the above crimes,

any crime committed in a place other than SD which would constitute a sex crime in SD,

any federal crime or court martial that would constitute a sex crime in this state,

any crime committed in another state if that state also requires that anyone convicted of that crime register as a sex offender in that state.


Also included would be any sex acts with a minor committed by 1) a jail employee (when the victim is a detainee) (22-22-7.6), or

a psychotherapist (22-22-8) & (22-22-29).


If any of these apply, he should contact his County Sheriff's Department.

Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 7 years ago.

Dear Ob,


The below section could also be important (I wouldn't want to see your brother get in any additional trouble for registering too late:


SDCL 22-24B-2 states that the sex offender shall register within five days of coming into any county to reside, temporarily domicile, attend school, attend postsecondary education classes, or work.


SDCL 22-24B-6 states that any person who is registered as required by 22-24B-2 and who is employed, carries on a vocation, or attends postsecondary classes at an institution of higher education, institution of higher learning, or technical institute in this state shall, within five days of any commencement and within five days of termination of such enrollment or employment or change in employer, report to the chief of police or county sheriff where the institution is located and complete a registration update form.


SDCL 22-24B-7 requires that any person who is subject to the provisions of 22-24B-2 shall reregister every six months in the same manner as may be provided by law for initial registration. Such person shall reregister during the calendar month during which the registrant was born and six months following the person's birth month.


If I see anything more of interest, I will pass it on to you!


Good luck to you and your brother, I hope all goes well for him.

Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 7 years ago.

Dear ob,


I see that he can also register with his local municipality police department.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Criminal Law Questions