Ask Attorney & Counselor at Law Your ...
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Counselor at Law with extensive criminal law experience

I have a friend that is being accused of stalking by an ex-girlfriend,

Customer Question

I have a friend that is being accused of stalking by an ex-girlfriend, she placed a PPO and for a whole year after that they still were seeing each other as boyfriend and girlfriend, then when she seems to get tired of what is going on she calls the police and had him picked up. He was out on probation and stopped at a grocery store he was walking out she was walking in and she said Hello to him, he replied back they were having a normal conversation, they were walking and talking and he had asked her about the ring that she had of his still and wanted to return it to the store so he didn't have to pay for it. She got ticked off, he said I have to leave and she went and called the police and they put a bench warrent out for his arrest. How is it possible for a victim to just cry wolf when it is convenient for them? It was even stated in the court room that the victim is not afraid of him just wants him to leave her alone?!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney & Counselor at Law replied 7 years ago.

This is a tough situation for your friend.

However, he is obligated to obey the protective order, even if she consents to a conversation.

Your friend is not allowed to have any contact, for any reason, while the protective order is in place.

I know that this seems unfair. Your friend does have the ability to petition the court to dismiss the protective order.