Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

I was approached by an officer back in Sept about a girl I

Customer Question

I was approached by an officer back in Sept about a girl I has slept with in july of last year. I gave a statement and he said he would be in touch. In December I was scheduled for a lie detector. They didnt complete it and said it might be mid feb before they could do it. It is now april should i assume they figured it out or she confessed to lieing or what.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 7 years ago.
Hello phldog1,

I would assume that the police are no longer interested in pursuing any criminal charges. I can not say this for certain. But the police generally take any sort of accusation of rape, sexual assault, etc. very seriously. And if you have not been contacted by them for a number of months, they probably concluded that there simply isn't enough evidence to pursue any sort of criminal case against you.

In any event, you should not speak to the police, or take a lie detector test, without consulting with and/or having an attorney present. You have the absolute right to refuse to answer any questions from the police. And anything you say to the police could potentially be used against you. So it is always wise not to answer any questions from the police without having an attorney.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay here is the issue I'm having. I have to fill out a backgroung check form for my 9 yr old softball team to help coach. Will this accusation be on it?
Unless you were arrested or charged with a crime, a background check will not turn up the accusation.