Alex, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced, former Assistant State's Attorney and Assistant Attorney General licensed in IL and NY

I was on a trip to see my doctor in another state last week

I was on a trip to see my doctor in another state last week with an alleged friend and he offered me/I accepted one of his pain pills for my back. I am a long time chronic pain patient and take rx pain meds by prescription but had forgotten them. what are we guilty of? are we equally guilty under the law?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex replied 7 years ago.
Hello. Hope this is hypothetical for you. But if not you have a potential criminal possession of a controlled substance if in New York when busted. If arrested, then I suggest you both line up your medical evidence including any prescriptions for any upcoming process in court. Also seek local legal counsel if you have been charged with a crime and make sure he knows some things about drug charges and defending them under your facts too. Hope this helps you out somewhat. If you found my answer helpful kindly hit the accept button too. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
in other words, he is as guilty as I would be correct? he is not innocent as the one who offered rather than the one who took it? theres no difference either side of the equation?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
in other words, we are equally responsible-or guilty under the eyes of the law as giver or recipient
Expert:  Alex replied 7 years ago.
You may both be charged, however, the one who possesses would be facing different charges over the one who distriubuted the controlled substance. Possessing a controlled substance without a valid prescription can be construed as a crime. Also, dispensing medication without authority and/or a license to do so may also be a crime. Obviously your circumstances of tremendous pain and an emergency situation as verified by your medical doctor and past history of pain and medications prescribed to you might be helpful both for mitigation and also for trying to convince the State to not charge you given your serious pain and that you do not deal controlled substances. If you are potentially facing any charges or an incvestigation, I highly recommend you seek the learned advice of a local experienced attorney too. Hope this helps you out. Have a great day. Alex