Cedric
Cedric, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Several Years of Criminal Defense Trials in L.A. and O.C. as public defender and private attorney
14986957

I had a knife pulled on me by an employees boyfriend who had

I had a knife pulled on me by an employees boyfriend who had just gotten off probation for a drug arrest. I did not file a police report because I knew he would be arrested and sent away, but I did halt all future work. Now I am being blackmailed by the same 2 guys and need to know if I can file for a restraining order on both of them
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you definitely have more than enough on them to file for a restraining order with the courts, if not anything more. Depending on when the knife was pulled on you, you can still file charges for that, and you can file charges for extortion for their attempt to blackmail you.

I would go to the police, file a report, and then go to the local superior court to file your request for a temporary restraining order, while you put in for a permanent one (or one that will last for years, since it necessitates giving the parties' the opportunity to respond, so they need to be served to know that the restraining order is pending against them).

Hope this helps!