Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

My son got arrested for writing on the wall. He is 16 they

My son got arrested for writing on the wall. He is 16 they kept in jail for 29 hrs. my question is can do we have a case agaist the police for keeping my son in the system for that. And while he was in there the one of the cops had told that he was not suppose to even be here that long
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 years ago.
I am not aware of any law that says they can't keep him in there for 29 hours, although there are specific requirements about seeing judges, etc. when a juvenile is involved. Even if they did violate some rule or law there would potentially be a civil rights suit, but the damages would be low and it may be hard to find a lawyer to handle the case, unless this is something that is happening repeatedly.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.