J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.

What reason do city police in the State of Ohio need to pull

Customer Question

What reason do city police in the State of Ohio need to pull over a driver? Re: they pulled my brother over 'cuz they didn't like the way his car looked. Rust, bent bumpers, but he passed the EPA test and all the lights and signals work. They did not impound the car, but my brother got a DUI, which I am not defending him for, but he told my brother he pulled him over 'cuz the car is a wreck.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.
An officer needs probable cause that a crime likely has or is being committed in order to pull a vehicle over. The way a vehicle looks is generally not enough to pull the vehicle over without more. If the officer observed a condition of the vehicle that he/she believe was a violation, then he/she can make the stop. If the officer pulled the vehicle over because he/she thought the vehicle looked like the kind of car someone committing a crime would drive, that's not enough.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX see his ticket, then maybe i'll contact you again, his court date is: april 7 2009
You're welcome. I appreciate the Accept. Just reply to this thread if you have follow-up questions.