Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

can you charge someone with emotional abuse without being married

can you charge someone with emotional abuse without being married to them. Can you charge someone with sexual harrassment without working for them.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

briefly explain what is going on ? are you being harassed by someone? who ? what are they doing?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This invovles me and someone that I have known a long time. Actually we were high school sweethearts. There is alot of raw emotion tied up in our relationship. I haven't seen or talked to him in 18yrs. However, he contacted me online in Nov. 2007 and we began talking on line and then on the the phone about 2 to 3 days a week. At first it was very innocent. Then he wanted to see me. We are both married. We never did. But he he began to play head games with me . Everytime he talked to me he would reminise about our relationship leaving no details out. He would tell me he loved me and had never forgot me. He talked about how unhappy he was in his marriage. Then he would have days when he was real short and ugly with me. He also on a regually basis solicited phone sex.

Suddenly he told me one day that his wife found out about an affair he had with someone else years ago. He said he had a computer set up at home to get all of his messages and ask me to stop emailing. Just like that. When I responeded, he told me that he would charge with me cyper stalking if I contacted him. He dosen't want her to find out about me because she knowns me. He's trying to cover his tracks. He wants to walk away unscaved. She saw a email once and it was with my married name and he flipped. I think he is very scared she will find out who I really am. He stands to lose alot. He has a productive company and plenty of money. I have never been involved in something like this before. I have a spotless record. But honestly, I have loved this man since I was 16years old. He had always kept up with me over the years even after he was married. The day I got married it all stopped and that was 18years ago. I was us to resolve this but I will not let him do this to me. I can't Thank you

Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

you really have no recourse - and if he has made a demand that you stop contacting him, then you should do that- otherwise, he can charge you with harassment - once the request is made and the "course of conduct" continues - then it becomes a crime.

you can also make that demand, if he contacts you again - but not unless he contacts you now that he has requested no contact - if he contacts you - you can say do not contact me and if he does then you can file harassment charges and get a restraining order on him

but as far as a civil lawsuit - it is not possible. sorry. hope all works out for you

good luck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have phone records with his phone calls on them and I have all of his emails, the good, the bad and the nasty. Can I legally respond to him with a certified letter accompied by an attorney. I just want him to know how hurt I am and he know that he started all this. I have alot of pride, and I know he may drag my name through the dirt. Can I go any other route. This is not about getting even its about taking up for myself. Thsi is clearly emotional abuse. I had to get meds to sleep and anxiety, and I'm currently in couseling.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

again, if you contact him - he can have you charged - and you know what else he can do - make you look like some pathetic nutty woman - he can tell his wife that you contacted him and he told you not to. it does not matter what your emails are.

if you want to get an attorney in your area to comment on what i have said, that's your choice. i am confident that you will be told what i have expressed here. this is very sad for you - but if you contact him, he can file criminal charges - and make you out to be the bad guy in all of this.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You have been very helpful. I just have one more question. I have confided in my husband about all of this. He was upset at first, but he is a good man he really loves me.

He said that he didn't want me to do anything. He said he did. Can he have any recourse. He first wanted to send her the emails. I didn't want him cause I am not after her. I actually feel sorry for her. Thank God for unanswered prayers!!!! Can he go after him legally? Can I be a witness.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

adultrey is not a crime - and if it was the charges would be brought in a divorce action in which neither of the parties to the adultrey can testify against the other -

sorry. i really am. but you are going to have to chalk this up to lesson learned and believe in karma.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I didn't have an physical affair with him. Oh but he wanted to. Maybe I'll just take my chances. Take my class 2 misdemeanor with a spotless record. If I do, make no mistake about it his little town will know what kind of man he has turned out to be. He was such a great guy. My parents loved him. What happened? I never dreamed he would do this to me. Not me!! I guess that is what hurts so bad. Thanks anyway!! Thanks for getting the tears rolling.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

i understand there was no adultrey - but my point is if it cant be done for a physical affair, it certainly is not going to fly for an affair of the heart - emotions.

again, i am very sorry this happened to you - and if you contact him after being told by him not to - you can be charged criminally

good luck

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.